What Is Yoga?
"Yogash citta vritti nirodhah."
Yoga is the cessation of thought waves in the mind.
~Sutra 1.2 from Patanjali's Yoga Sutras
Yoga is an ancient holistic discipline practiced for mental and physical health, self realization, and spiritual enlightenment.
Throughout the seasons of life, yoga can become like a true friend. A dependable, supportive, insightful companion that offers endless insight and practical uses to answer questions, stay grounded, recover, and grow.
Practices of Yoga include physical poses and movements (asana), breathwork (pranayama), chanting (mantra), meditation (dhyana),
self study (svadyaya), and selfless service (karma yoga), among many others.
The eight limbs of Classical Ashtanga (ashta = eight, anga = limb) Yoga (union) are:
1) Yamas - Ethical Restraints
2) Niyamas - Ethical Observances
3) Asana - Seat, physical postures
4) Pranayama - Breath control and expansion
5) Pratyahara - Sense Withdrawal
6) Dharana - Concentration
7) Dhyana - Continuous focus, Meditation
8) Samadhi - Absorbtion, Oneness, Pure Consciousness